Wednesday 15 January 2014

Another one bites the dust

About a year ago I went to a class with Barb Mortell who taught about Gees Bend housetop quilts. I worked all day, make my top and hated it. It has been rolled up in a bin until last week when I pulled it out and started cutting it up into pieces.Then putting them on the design wall




Next idea was to sew yarn circles which I saw in a video by  Carol Taylor .  So far so good. Then I figured, lets add some black

 
After adding the black yarn and looking at it, I don't like it, maybe it needs more circles? Or the black are just not put in the right places? I'm tired of looking at it, so into the bin it goes with the first leaf blocks. Hmm, now what can I try??

I did learn something important, when you are couching yarns, the fabric tends to buckle and bubble, so a good spray with water, and steaming then pinning down ( I also weighed it down with an old fortrel quilt my mom in law made which probably weighs 15 pounds)

After relooking at the leaf quilt from yesterday, I have decided to rip out the zigzag applique stitching. I forgot this is an art quilt that won't get washed and doesn't need the leaves to be sewn down, I can just fmq to my hearts content. A frogging I will go (rip it rip it)

No comments:

Post a Comment